20 North Decatur, Strasburg, PA 17579
To help clients effectively achieve their goals on the Internet by serving them as their technical architect, technical project manager, needs analyst, strategic partner, and tool builder.
To meet clients’ needs with solutions in the following areas:
- Drupal web design and development
- Development operations and developer training
- Information Technology and web applications
Passionate about helping clients effectively use technology to achieve their business and organizational goals.
Over fifteen years experience as a professional interactive services provider working with national clients providing end-to-end services for creating, implementing, and maintaining web-based business and marketing solutions.
Served as Senior Developer, Team Lead, and Technical Project Manager in interactive agencies for high-end, high traffic web sites, Director of E-Marketing and Interactive Services in two advertising agencies, Chair of the Department of Communication and Information Technology for a large North American non-profit, and as a freelance consultant, technical writer, and developer.
Experience in a variety of industries including television and media, publishing, consumer goods, health, higher education, non-profit, and US government.
Michael Caccavano - CEO + Founder Tree House Agency
“Sean brings a wealth of technical and business experience to everything his does. He is an experienced Drupal Developer who understands the importance of executing and when necessary delegating tasks properly. Tree House had the privilege of having him serve as both a Senior Developer and Technical Project Manager. The latter included wearing many hats, including Technical Writing, Training, and Business Development... all of which he excelled at."
- Senior Developer & Team Lead
- Technical Project Manager
- Customer Support and Trainer
- Technical Writer (white papers, marketing material, and documentation)
Areas of Expertise
Technical Project Management | The Agile Process | Drupal | Web Development, Design, & Site Maintenance | Sever Management | Development Operations (DevOps) | E-Marketing & E-Business Strategic Consulting | Search Engine Optimization | Email Marketing & Campaign Tracking | Usability Testing | Automated Testing | Web-based Market Research
- Certifications in advanced electronics and programming courses while in the US Military as a Submarine Sonar Technician
- 15 years programming and software development
- 10+ years Drupal programming
- 10+ years LAMP-style website development, with strong skills in HTML, XHTML,
- CSS & SASS, and JS
- Expert in object oriented programming for PHP - 10+ years
- Expert in the use of Drush, Jenkins, Selenium, PHPUnit, & Vagrant
- Adept at using shell scripts, python code, CHEF & Puppet manifests
- Strong database skills, with 10+ years MySQL experience, and 10+ years MS SQL - Skilled in building websites with high scalability / volume requirements
- Working knowledge of REST APIs and developing new APIs
- Experienced server manager for Linux and Windows Server
- Strong skills in the use of PM software and issue tracking systems
Soft Skill Set
- Ability to develop a vision for the future of a department or organization, while possessing the planning skills to establish & meet goals necessary to achieve the vision
- Organizational & people skills to manage departments & teams (in-house and virtual)
- Ability to apply critical thinking, an inquisitive approach, generate new ideas, & learn the knowledge necessary in any position to carry out authority & responsibility
- A self-starter who seeks challenge, with the ability to strategy and direction when necessary for success
- Presents self well in person & often acts as a consultant/team member to clients (internal & external)
- Ability to work with people in teams and departments at all levels within a business or organization (including: CEO, Executive board members, Sales & Marketing professionals, IT)
Sample Client List
Lifetime Television, Washington Post Newsweek Interactive, Fast Company, Sony BMG, Verizon, Time Out NY, Sylvan Learning Systems, Hershey Foods, The US Department of Interior, The US Treasury Department, Reader’s Digest, Russell Reynolds Associates, The US Democratic Caucus, American Bible Society, Johnson & Johnson, The Pennsylvania State University, CBN.com
Bill Donovan - President and CEO Donovan Advertising & Marketing
“Sean has contributed heavily to our agency through his new business, interactive and research efforts.”
FFW (Part of the Intellecta Group) November 2015 – Present
- Serving as primary point of technical contact for customers as it relates to projects
- Providing mentorship to team and technical peers
- Working with Group Architect to implement and enforce company technical standards
- Ensuring final technical delivery of projects within the team meet project requirements
- Contributing code to projects as required
- Team Management
TEKSystems (IT Staff assigned to CBN.com) January 2015 – October 2015
Responsible for helping to migrate CBN’s existing website to the Drupal Content Management System. Responsible for providing technical guidance and best practices for new feature/module/extension development.
While at CBN.com as a Senior Developer work included:
- Coding and automating content migration
- Developing custom Drupal modules necessary to support web application requirements
- Ensuring cross browser compatibility for the site with responsive design support
- Testing, maintenance and troubleshooting of existing Drupal based sites
- Conducting code review and pair coding sessions
Palantir.net October 2012 – January 2015
Senior Engineer and Team Lead
Responsible for building client sites with PHP and Drupal with an eye towards quality and sustainable code.
While at Palantir.net as a Senior Engineer and Team Lead responsibilities included:
- Participation in the design, development, quality assurance, implementation and support of browser-based software applications using both proprietary and open source development tools.
- Working with project managers and clients to determine business needs and requirements as well as user needs and requirements.
- Helping team members and clients implement and manage projects via the Agile process and serving as scrum master on most projects.
- Developing technical specifications and user stories.
- Reviewing the work of fellow engineering team members to provide them with advice and consultation.
- Refinement of development policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Lead developer of the Drupal Ecological Information Management System (DEIMS) distribution built for the Long Term Ecological Research (LTER) Network. DEIMS is an installation profile for storing, editing, and sharing large data sets and information about biological and ecological research. Beyond system architecture and development, work on this project included leading onsite discovery and managing the Agile process for the project. See: https://www.drupal.org/project/deims
- Co-presenter at DrupalCon Austin about this project, focusing on how the project team worked together using an agile development process to provide the most value to the project and its sponsoring institutions. See: https://austin2014.drupal.org/node/2173
- Lead developer and consultant for the Babson College Web development team to help implement automated and continuously integrated quality assurance testing on their college sites, specifically for their Google+ Hangouts and Google Talk with Drupal integration. Project work included:
- Identifying and defining testing strategies for the system under test.
- Developing multi-browser automated tests to test interaction between users and chat instances.
- Writing PHPUnit tests with Selenium Web driver integration.
- Configuration of Linux for headless browser testing and Jenkins Server to manage tests and report results.
- Lead developer of the Drush Rush Drupal project. Drush Rush provides tools to enhance and improve Drupal development operations and workflow. Drush Rush uses parameters and processes described in build files to build Drupal project instances. The project’s purpose is to allow Drupal Developers to:
- Reduce typical Drupal development workflows down to one step (one Drush command).
- Create re-usable and share-able Drupal development operations and workflows.
- See: https://www.drupal.org/project/rush
SeanBuscay.com August 2009 to Present
Freelance Drupal Developer, Technical Project Manager, Strategist, & Writer
As a freelance Drupal developer and project manager, I manage website projects and development teams for clients to help them specify, architect, and build web-based solutions to meet their business and organizational goals.
Drupal Projects include:
- Project management, site architecture, and development services to build and launch: http://dems.gov/ for the Democratic Caucus.
- Project management, development, and site theming for Russell Reynolds Associates (a global leadership consultant). – http://russellreynolds.com
- Site architecture and lead developer for Johnson & Johnson on a large medical community site.
- Site architecture and development of an IT news site to keep the Penn State community informed on important and interesting technology issues.
Ruston Miles - President and CEO Bluefin Payment Systems
"Sean Buscay has both my personal and professional recommendation for any position which requires a solid balance among technical, communication, and management skills. My experience with him has proven his skills from the ground up, including system administration, project management, web development, as well as human resource management."
Tree House Agency (treehouseagency.com) June 2008 to August 2009
Senior Developer and Technical Project Manager
While at Tree House serving as Technical Project Manager I managed a virtual team of top-notch talent which created high traffic, dynamic sites for big-name clients like Time Out New York, Verizon Wireless, Mansueto Ventures, CBS and Sony. To keep up with the fast development pace and maintain high standards for both code and service I implemented an Agile development process for the whole team.
I consistently demonstrated high initiative and passion for the work, took ownership of projects, and together with my team, drove projects to a successful completion; making sure our clients received a product that achieved their real-world goals.
Both as a senior developer, and as technical project manager, I often took a lead role in the conceptualization of projects, functional and technical discovery, and system architecture. I brought in the right players at the right time to maximize efficiency and typically act as a bridge between clients, engineers and developers.
My responsibilities and necessary skills included:
- Ability to define client needs and architect a Drupal system to help meet their needs
- Managing projects from conception and initial discussions through their execution, and on to their delivery
- Strong writing & analytic skills, including writing proposals, functional & technical specifications, estimates, client communications, & documentation
- Ability to work in a fast paced and flexible environment
- Experience with project management methodologies like Scrum & GTD
- Managing a virtual team
- Website architecture planning & code review
- Installation and configuration of Drupal-powered websites
- Client contact throughout development process
Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America December 2003 to May 2008
Chair of the Department of Communication and Information Technology
Built a department and a small team to provide the communications, knowledge, and information technology systems that empowered the organization to maximum effectiveness.
Migrated the organization’s main website from a large static html site to a Drupal powered website, realizing the following benefits:
- A website based on a system and standards that are widely supported in the business and non-profit communities, providing new support options
- A standardized system to make updates faster and provide better support
- Improved search capabilities for visitors to better find content relevant to their interests and needs
- A better audio system, improved video postings, an easier way to syndicate content and to enable users to subscribe to content
Focused the tight resources of the department on the following activities:
- Growing & Enhancing the Website (Antiochian.org)
- Providing Database and Fund Raising Software to the Archdiocese (large-scale database support and training)
- Continuing Staff Development (training)
- Providing Technical Support and managing a Help Desk
Donovan Advertising and Marketing Services - Lititz, PA Director October 2001 – December 2003
Director of E-Marketing and Interactive Services & Director Marketing Research
Developed E-Marketing and Information Technology strategies for clients, implemented plans, and achieved outstanding results.
Worked with a broad range of national and local clients, in a variety of industries, to help solve marketing and business needs with communications and technology solutions. Conducted technology, information, and Internet communications needs assessments to develop and implement strategic plans for clients. Developed and maintained websites, intranets, and information and content management systems for a variety of clients in a number of industries. Provided training and support on custom-built content management systems. Provided networking and other technology troubleshooting and maintenance support for clients (both internal and external).
Served as a member of the agency’s New Business Development team. Recommended and developed the new business and sales strategy. Developed and built the contact management system. Procured initial sales leads and continued to help generate new leads. Facilitated and coordinated the development of new business material. Wrote new business proposals and met with prospects as part of new business pitches.
The Ball Group - Lancaster, PA/ Baltimore, MD July 1997 – January 2001
Director of Marketing Research - Web Design, Database Programming
Developed and implemented marketing plans to help clients achieve their business & marketing goals. Conducted website usability testing, web surveys, and database programming for clients. Worked with designers to provide programming and development support on client websites. Set up and trained clients on database-driven contact management and project management systems. Worked with clients and internal team members to develop marketing, sales, and marketing research solutions that solved client’s business and marketing needs (typically developing new markets, new customers, new products, or new sources of revenue).
Education, Honors, Certifications, and On-Going Learning
As an example of on-going learning, here is a sample of development books I have read, mastered, and applied to my work in the last couple of years:
- The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering by Frederick P. Brooks
- Joel on Software: And on Diverse and Occasionally Related Matters by Joel Spolsky
- Succeeding with Agile by Mike Cohn
- The Definitive Guide to Drupal 7 by Benjamin Melancon, et al.
- The PHP Anthology: 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks by Ben Balbo, et al.
- Drupal 7 Module Development by Matt Butcher, Larry Garfield, John Albin Wilkins, Matt Farina, Ken Rickard, et al.
- Don’t Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability, 2nd Edition by Steve Krug
- Getting Real: The smarter, faster, easier way to build a successful web application by 37signals
- AJAX and PHP: Building Responsive Web Applications by Cristian Darie, et al.
Technical/E-business & Marketing Conferences including DrupalCons 1995 – Present
To stay current with the latest e-business and marketing trends, attended multiple conferences sponsored by the American Marketing Association, The Market Research Association, and E-Business Conference Sponsors
Sales, Marketing, and Business Leadership Training 1995 – Present
Training included: Time Management and Goal Setting, Team Building and Communication, Hiring and Termination, Delegation, Leadership Roundtables, Systematic Selling, Setting Goals and Developing a Formula for Success, Creating a Prospecting Plan, Stress Management, Motivation for Employees, Negotiation, Transactional Analysis
The Pennsylvania State University, Capitol College 1995 — 1997
Graduate with High Distinction, BS in Applied Behavioral Science
Professional Memberships & Honors
- Drupal Association Individual Member
- The International Honor Society in Social Science (Pi Gamma Mu)
- The National Honor Society in Psychology (Psi Chi)
- Scholar awards and scholarships received while at Penn State and Lee University
- American Marketing Association
- Market Research Association
References, Code Samples, Case Studies
Available upon request.